View our practice areas

Understand PIP Coverage After Your Accident

If you were involved in a car or truck accident in Kentucky but don’t have medical insurance to cover your care and treatment, don’t worry. You have options.

When it comes to motor vehicle wrecks, Kentucky is a no-fault state. Car owners are required to have no-fault coverage, called personal injury protection (PIP) coverage, to provide up to $10,000 worth of medical care when someone is injured in an accident. This allows the victims to obtain immediate medical assistance, without worrying about how they will pay for it. PIP can also provide lost wage benefits that are tax-free.

Kentucky’s Motor Vehicle Reparations Act (MVRA) sets out the requirements and restrictions of PIP coverage, which can be quite complex. However, at the law firm of T.J. Smith, Attorney at Law, we have extensive experience dealing with car wrecks and PIP coverage issues. We can sit down with you and clearly explain your rights and options in regard to medical treatment.

I’m Only A Little Hurt. Do I Really Need To Go To The Doctor?

Yes, it is very important to obtain medical care right away after an accident. First, you may not realize the full extent of your injuries. What seems like simple whiplash to you may actually be a brain injury, for instance. Only a skilled physician can make an accurate diagnosis.

Second, without medical records, you won’t have the evidence you need to pursue a personal injury case. You won’t be able to recover any of the money you may need down the road for medical treatment, time off work and more.

To learn more about PIP insurance and obtaining medical care after an accident, schedule a free initial consultation with T.J. Smith, Attorney at Law. Call 502-589-2560 (Louisville) or 502-589-2560 (Central Kentucky). You can also contact our lawyer by email.