It is difficult to keep your bearings about you when you have just been hit by someone. You are frightened, shaken up, and, although we hope not, likely injured. This is the time when you want to stay alert and follow five steps that can improve your chances of recovering damages.
Once you’ve taken these steps, you’ll want a lawyer by your side who is committed to you. T.J. Smith, Attorney at Law, is an automobile accident firm that brings over 20 years of successful trial experience to your case. We are dedicated to helping you in your efforts to recover fully from your auto accident. Call 800-IAM-HURT, 502-589-2560 (Louisville) or 502-589-2560 (Central Kentucky).
When The Accident Occurs
The Kentucky Driver’s Manual recommends that you do the following after you have been in an accident:
- Stop immediately: Turn on your hazard lights. Move your car to a safe place if no one is injured. If there are injuries or you cannot move your car, stay put. Keep your headlights on if dark, so other drivers can see you.
- Call law enforcement right away: You must call the authorities if there is a fatality, but call them anyway, even if no one is injured. They can diffuse tempers and write an official report of the incident.
- Get contact information: Obtain the names, addresses, driver’s license and insurance information of those involved in the accident. Additionally, get the names and phone numbers of all witnesses.
- Collect vehicle information: Write down the make, model and year of the vehicles involved. Also, note all vehicle registration and license plate numbers.
- Write down what happened before you forget: Document the damage to all vehicles and persons both in writing and with photographs; video the accident scene if your cell phone has the capability.
You should also call a lawyer for legal guidance. Although you might feel fine after the accident, brain injuries and other problems take time to manifest. Never assume an insurance company has your best interests at heart.
Do Not Go It Alone
T.J. Smith, Attorney at Law, aids accident victims throughout Louisville and Central Kentucky. We offer free consultations. Feel free to contact us by phone or fill out our online form and we will set up a meeting with you to discuss your case.